Another incident of a Florida Hit and Run!

Hit-and-RunLast week St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office responded to a hit and run accident that resulted in one man being sent to Flagler Hospital for life-threatening injuries. The accident occurred early Friday morning on Old Moultrie Road. According to the Sheriff’s Office the victim was traveling southbound on his scooter when an unidentified Ford vehicle stuck the victim from behind and then proceeded to flee the scene. Police are currently looking for a Ford vehicle with front-end damage and encourage people to call in if they have any information regarding this Florida Hit and Run.

In Florida, leaving the scene of an accident that results in injury or death is a third degree felony. If convicted, a person could face up to 5 years in prison and/or up to $5,000.00 fine. This is a serious criminal offence and the advice and counsel of a Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer could prove to be invaluable. Florida Statute § 316.027 defines the law and reads, “the driver of any vehicle involved in a crash occurring on public or private property that results in injury of any person must immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the crash…and must remain at the scene of the crash and to answer questions and render aid as set forth in F.S.A. § 316.062.”

But, what does all this mean for a Jacksonville motorist? It means if you have caused an accident, injuries or not, you are required to remain at the scene or face additional criminal charges and penalties. Additionally, according to a Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyer if you are at fault in a car accident you could be facing a personal injury claim to compensate the victim for their losses they have suffered as a result of your negligence.

Finally, my advice is to remain at the scene after being involved in an automobile accident. It could be the difference between civil charges for personal injury or facing a third degree felony criminal charge. However, if you or a loved one are facing a Jacksonville Hit and Run charge, contact a Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer to discuss your case and determine what is the best approach in moving forward.

Contact Information