As a Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer I am faced on a daily basis with clients calling regarding a recent Jacksonville Traffic Citation and the points that could be received on their license. The amount of points that are placed on a Florida Driver’s License for speeding tickets and other traffic citations can vary. The points will range anywhere from 3 to 6 points. The scale is set forth in Florida Statute Section 322.27(d) for Florida moving violations. This Florida Traffic Law is quoted below.
“(d) The point system shall have as its basic element a graduated scale of points assigning relative values to convictions of the following violations:
1. Reckless driving, willful and wanton–4 points.
2. Leaving the scene of a crash resulting in property damage of more than $50–6 points.
3. Unlawful speed resulting in a crash–6 points.
4. Passing a stopped school bus–4 points.
5. Unlawful speed:
a. Not in excess of 15 miles per hour of lawful or posted speed–3 points.
b. In excess of 15 miles per hour of lawful or posted speed–4 points.
6. A violation of a traffic control signal device as provided in s. 316.074(1) or s. 316.075(1)(c)1.–4 points.
7. All other moving violations (including parking on a highway outside the limits of a municipality)–3 points. However, no points shall be imposed for a violation of s. 316.0741 or s. 316.2065(12).
8. Any moving violation covered above, excluding unlawful speed, resulting in a crash–4 points.
9. Any conviction under s. 403.413(6)(b)–3 points.
10. Any conviction under s. 316.0775(2)–4 points.
Once you accumulate a certain amount of points on your Florida Driver’s License within a time period, your Florida Driver’s License will be Suspended by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Therefore, it is extremely important to contact a Criminal Lawyer to discuss your Florida driving record. The advice and counsel of a Defense Lawyer could prove to be invaluable in your case. It could be the difference between having a Florida Driver’s License or not. So, do not hesitate, contact a Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer today!